Sunday, August 02, 2009

DropBox

I am probably a bit late in recommending DropBox (found at the slightly hard to remember getDropBox.com) but I will do it anyway.

DropBox is essentially an online file storage service that appears like a normal directory on your computer - the key feature is that you can access a local copy of the files when you aren't connected to the net and they will automatically update on your other machines when you reconnect.

I have been using it lately on my little Dell netbook. I have had problems in the past with files that live on the laptop. I often forget to back them up to the main system and sometimes I update a file on the main computer and then forget to copy it onto the laptop. Now I just keep any files that I might want on the laptop in my DropBox directory.

As an added bonus, if you sign up using this link then both you and I get an extra 250MB of storage.

2 comments:

Richard said...

This is very cool. Never heard of it before.

Chris said...

Not sure where I heard of it. I think it was on a tech podcast - probably either TWIT or Net at Night.